Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What's Next?

I'll be honest -- even though I know that I'm about halfway to the end of the my working days (ideally), the recent stories about the stresses on the Medicare and Social Security systems have drawn little of my interest. I think -- like I think many think -- that "they" will have it all figured out by the time I get to that point. You know, because "they" have been doing such a bang-up job on the economy, immigration, health care and all . . ..

Completely naive, I know, but that's where my head is at.

Still, although I'm not quite sure how I might pay for it all, I do think about my golden years from time to time. And with 78 million baby boomers on the verge of retirement, I'm not the only one. Traditionally, many people have sought out warmer climates -- Florida, Arizona -- but there seems to be a growing portion of the population who want to stay close to their family. And with everything this state has to offer -- museums and theaters, great restaurants and outdoor activities, the proximity to New York and Boston -- hanging around here is an appealing option.

As such, in the upcoming May issue of Connecticut Magazine, we're taking a look at 20 ideal retirement spots right here in Connecticut. Part of that also is a new online survey where we're asking our readers to tell us, if money was no object, what town in the state would be their ideal retirement destination. If you have a second -- it's only one question -- please feel free to contribute your thoughts.

For the record, I'm partial to the water -- a little house overlooking the Sound in a town like Old Saybrook or Stonington would be acceptable.

No comments: